Oct 4, 2010

Pregnancy - Its the season to be complaining.

This time around, there are 2 things that annoys me during the 2nd trimester; It’s the pregnancy headache and excessive saliva. Almost every subuh I will wake up to a minor to throbbing headache and I think it’s due to the way my head and neck rest on the pillow. So silap position sikit aje, gerenti sakit kepala. Meanwhile, the other annoying excessive saliva buat mulut rasa pahit or loya. Pretty much annoying sebab kejap-kejap kena telan air liur.

So why are these things happening to this preggy me?

I found out that these headaches are caused by the progesterone boost in my body which causes the blood vessels to relax and not spasm. As the placenta continues to produce both progesterone and estrogen for the duration of the pregnancy and the levels get higher and higher right up to just before the birth.

During the pregnancy, the progesterone is needed in the following ways, (mostly in conjunction with estrogen):

  • Makes the endometrium develop and secrete fluids after being primed by estrogen
  • Maintains the functions of the placenta and fights off unwanted cells near the womb that could cause damage to the placenta or foetus.
  • Keeps the endometrium in a thickened condition
  • Stops the uterus making spontaneous movements
  • Stimulates the growth of breast tissue
  • Prevents lactation until after the birth (with estrogen)
  • Strengthens the mucus plug covering the cervix to prevent infection.
  • Strengthens the pelvic walls in preparation for labour.
  • Stops the uterus from contracting (thus keeping the baby where it is)
  • At the end of the pregnancy, the levels of progesterone secreted by the placenta drop off. It is this action that stimulates the beginning of the contractions that will lead to birth.

Some other effects on a woman due to raised levels of progesterone can include any or all of the following:

  • Constipation
  • Heartburn
  • Runny and irritable nose
  • Eyesight problems (blurring or headaches)
  • Increased kidney infection risk.

Now, that kinda make sense on why I am having excessive saliva recently.

Commonly, excessive salivation is a result of changing hormone levels. Excessive saliva may happen sporadically during periods of rapid hormonal fluctuation.

Some solutions I found on the internet:

  • Brushing their teeth multiple times each day helps relieve their symptoms, or at the very least makes the problem seem less annoying.
  • Drinking more water improves rather than worsens the condition. Your body may produce more saliva in response to dehydration.
  • Chewing gum or sucking hard candies helpful for at least taking their mind off the problem.

Care to share your tips on pregnancy headache and/or excessive saliva?

3 comments:

yatie chomeyl said...

i x pernah experienced excessive saliva during my previous pregnancy with baby SN...so, no ips..but sthanks for sharing this..sbb kalau tak, i tak tahu pon wujud condition mcm ni

Lynn Nasir said...

salam,

heartburn = dua2 kali preggy :(

saya suka gosok gigi tanpa ubat gigi sambil alirkan air paip (pakai hos) masa gosok gigi tu. loya ngan ubat gigi..tp ubat kumur okay pulak :)

Anonymous said...

ada baby baru otw kak ija??
wahh...congrates!!take care u both!!

Post a Comment

-

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor nor am I a lawyer. I am not a scientist nor am I an expert. I am just a wife and a mother, who is putting her thoughts and findings in a blog. All of the posting on this website & my blogs were written by me for educational purposes and as my sentimental library, but are not meant to diagnose nor treat any medical disorders. Any other materials that I may have quote from other published materials are for educational purposes only and not for any other manipulative reasons. Anyway, whatever weird stuff that I published are the real stuff that I believe works for me. Tips and tricks that might work for me. You are free to put it in your head if you thinks its valuable, but if you think its rubbish... Please don't mock me. Do please shut your pie hole.
 
HACKED BY YOUR FUCKING LASER
BANGSAT-BANGSAT MALAYSIA, KALIAN MEMANG
GENERASI YANG BERMASALAH PRESTASI NOL
TAPI KESOMBONGAN LUAR BIASA
ULAH SUPORTER KALIAN YANG MAIN LASER
ADALAH CERMIN DARI SIFAT KALIAN YANG MEMALUKAN
BLOG INI DI HACK OLEH LASER HIJAU KALIAN YANG MENGGANGGU PEMAIN INDONESIA
FUCK YOU UP!!! son of a bitch